A company named Real Water is facing investigations amid reports of a 5-year old girl getting sick after consuming their product. The company home-delivered five-gallon bottles of H20 in Las Vegas to the family of Ryan and Arika Carrier.
According to the family, they thought they were getting the best drinking water. The family also noted that they liked the taste of this water and that their 2-year old son, Finn, and their 5-year old daughter, Hera drank the liquid.
Last year was when Hera started getting sick. She constantly complained to her mother about stomach aches. Later in November, Hera got violently ill such that she couldn’t hold food down.
After an examination in a local hospital, the doctor diagnosed Hera with liver failure. The doctors couldn’t treat Hera there, so they referred her to Salt Lake City for a possible liver transplant. According to Salt Lake doctors, the girl had ingested a highly toxic substance.
Hera was lucky to evade a liver transplant.
The company’s water problem is nothing new.
In March, the company apologized and requested a nationwide voluntary withdrawal of its Real Water brand, alkaline water. The consumers were supposed to withdraw the liquid product until its safety was established. This alkaline water is the same brand that Brent Jones, the Real Water co-founder, stated has health benefits.
In a YouTube video, Brent said the H20 assists with better cellular hydration and creating an antioxidant effect in the body.
After the request, the CBS News correspondent named Anna Werner went to Real Water company offices to ask them if they knew what happened to the children that consumed their water. Werner found the offices empty with a few tracks sitting outside. Later on, the company declined to speak to CBS News concerning the matter.
Child Illness: Where the problem lies
After a CBS News investigation, a former employee of the water company noted that most of the workers had no chemistry experience. For instance, an employee named Casey Aiken used to work in a strip club before being hired by this brand.
During the interview, Aiken noted a scenario where he was mixing a new batch and got a low reading on a meter he was using to measure alkaline levels in the liquid. Aiken then called his manager’s son and asked what to do. Surprisingly the son told him to add more concentrate.
Although the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) is handling the matter, consumer advocates believe there should be stronger regulation for bottled beverages.