The Silent Killer: 10 Early Warning Signs of Mold Toxicity

0
291
mold-toxicity-the-silent-killer-10-early-warning-signs-of-mold-toxicity.jpg

Mold Toxicity?: Molds and many related microbial agents are ubiquitous in the biosphere, and mold spores are a typical household and workplace dust component. While the vast majority of molds are not hazardous to humans, a few are known to be, and reactions to molds can vary between individuals, from relatively minor allergic reactions to severe multi-system inflammatory effects and even neurological problems death.

There is more to mold infestation than dirty bathrooms and rotten food – it is a serious health hazard. Mold is a toxic substance, and you must know the signs of mold toxicity. While it’s true that molds regularly grow in damp or wet areas, the truth is that molds are technically invisible and could be growing right under your nose. When mold grows undetected, it could enter your body with deadly effects. It’s essential to know the earliest signs of mold toxicity in your body since it could shut your immune system and create a series of illnesses that can take years to be diagnosed or be cured.

What is Mold Toxicity?

Molds excrete toxic compounds called mycotoxins, secondary metabolites produced by fungi under certain environmental conditions. These ecological conditions affect the production of mycotoxins at the transcription level. Temperature, water activity, and pH strongly influence mycotoxin biosynthesis by increasing the transcription level within the fungal spore. It has also been found that low levels of fungicides can boost mycotoxin synthesis certain mycotoxins can be harmful or lethal to humans and animals when exposure is high enough.

How Do You Know If You Have Mold Poisoning? || Mold Toxicity

The issue with mold allergies or poisoning is that up until recently, doctors and other medical professionals would tell their patients their symptoms were all “in their head,” because they could not pinpoint the cause. However, as more and more studies show, the effects of mold are very real and even life-threatening to some individuals who are the most susceptible.

1.     Headaches

Having frequent headaches is the first typical sign of black mold toxicity. Living in an area with black mold for several hours can trigger a headache due to an allergic reaction to airborne mold spores. Headache may also be due to inflammation of the mucous membranes in the nasal cavities.

When you work or sit around a black mold and inhale the air, your head will start beating. It is a sign that your body is trying to fight the spores that are entering your system. The headache will improve once you leave the area and enter an open space and start inhaling fresh air. If you spend time in a home or office affected by fungi and get frequent headaches, it is a time to take your headache seriously before things get worse.

2.     Itchy / Watery Eyes

Mycotoxins present in the air can immediately enter your eyes. When mycotoxins come into contact with the cells in your eyes, they cause your eyes to fill with water and become spicy. You may also notice that your throat itches. This is a common problem related to the toxicity of black mold.

3.     Excessive cough

The third most common warning sign of exposure to black mold is extreme cough and mucus. Not all people exposed to mold develop a cough, but many people do, especially with prolonged exposure. Anyone having respiratory or immune system disorders are at a higher risk of developing coughs due to mold. In the long term, intense exposure to mold can also cause bronchitis and pneumonia, which can also cause cough.

4.     Asthma attacks

Another well-known warning sign of mold toxicity is having frequent asthma attacks. Mold spores can deposit in the lining of the nose and reach the lungs to cause asthma. Mold exposure can make symptoms worse in people previously diagnosed with asthma. They may start having asthma attacks more frequently; the attacks may last longer and may appear more severe. The medications that helped earlier may not relieve the symptoms.

5.     Skin Pores

These toxic molds can enter the human body via skin pores. The immune system reacts to these molds as a dangerous element and in turn, triggers hives. The rash can cause itching, and excessive scratching can even be a cause of skin infection.

6.     Depression

Mold exposure can lead to depression. Therefore, if you live in a humid and moldy home and are getting depressed, then it is time to take it as a warning sign of mold toxicity. Since depression can affect your mental and physical well-being, have it treated by a reputable doctor. You may also need the support of your family and friends to fight depression.

7.     Digestive problems

Digestive system can be affected by mold by inhaling harmful substances called mycotoxins produced by mold. Therefore, if you suddenly have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and intestinal cramps, keep in mind that it could be due to mold toxicity.

8.     Low energy level

Low energy is another sign of mold exposure. There are several explanations since mold toxicity can cause symptoms that make you feel exhausted. For example, constant cough and asthma can limit the amount of oxygen you eat, making you feel tired. If your cough and a headache keep you awake at night, you will feel tired the next day.

9.     Joint pain

While respiratory problems and allergic symptoms are more common signs of mold exposure, joint pain is another warning sign of prolonged mold exposure. Although experts do not understand the relationship between mycotoxins and joint pain, prolonged mold exposure can cause joint pain.

10.Sleep problems

In some people, mold exposure can cause problems sleeping; you may find it difficult to sleep deeply in a damp or moldy room like a basement due to a peculiar smell. Also, once you realize that mold is harmful to your health, it can cause stress and anxiety, giving you sleepless nights. In addition to that, mold toxicity can cause irritated and inflamed nasal passages, causing respiratory problems.

While the world may just be starting to understand the effects that mold can have on our health, there are still many wonderful resources you can take advantage of to inform yourself and your family better.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here